The JA StartUp Programme is an innovative educational programme which is implemented simultaneously in 500 universities across Europe with the participation of 20,000 students yearly.
The programme gives university students (18 to 30 years old) the opportunity to experience running their own company, giving them an insight into how their talents could be used to set up a business for themselves.
Essentially, students form teams of 3 to 5 members and for three months work on developing a business with the support of academics, mentors and an online educational platform.
At the end of the programme, the 10 best teams across Cyprus present their businesses in the National Competition with a live audience and a jury committee. The winners represent Cyprus at Europe’s Largest Entrepreneurship Event, Gen-E.
For more details, click the “General Information” tab.
Register your team now by clicking on the “Team Registration” tab.
Registration Deadline: 19th of February 2023
For 13 weeks, the participating students form teams (3-5 members) and follow step by step all the necessary points, in order to present at the end of the programme a complete business idea.
Student teams can participate in the JA StartUp programme in the following ways:
- In the context of a university course and the consent of their responsible professor.
- As an independent team, having the support of the JA Cyprus Network (Team, Companies – Members, Mentors).
For all the basic topics there is rich educational material on the programme’s online platform, while in selected topics, experts provide additional ideas and knowledge through webinars. In addition, experienced professionals provide ongoing guidance and support, acting as mentors.
Topics that are covered during the programme, include the following:
- Brainstorming ideas
- Market Research
- Formation of the Business Team
- Development of a Business Model
- Development of a Prototype
- Financial Research
- Development of a Business Plan
- Branding – Go to Market
- Intellectual Property
- Pitch and Presentations
Key milestones in the implementation of the programme are the following, that all teams participating are required to submit:
- Business Idea (description of the idea – one paragraph)
- Commercial Video (up to 60 seconds) with the description of the business idea for participation in the Online Voting
- Business Plan (on a specific template)
From the teams participating in the programme, ten (10) teams advance to the final phase, i.e. the National Competition, which is taking place on the 01st of June 2023. Nine (9) teams are selected by a Jury Committee based on their commercial video and business plan. One (1) team gets the ticket directly for the final through the Online Voting Challenge.
The evaluation is aligned with the evaluation process followed at the European level by JA Europe and includes criteria such as:
- Completeness and clarity of the entrepreneurial idea and strategy
- Social impact of the idea
- Knowledge/understanding of the target market
- Attractiveness of investment
- Analysis of competition, marketing and promotion
- Timeframes for the development of the business
- Degree of innovation and competitive advantage
- Existence of quality and prototype operation
- Complementarity, collaborative spirit and professionalism of the team
- Skills of presentation and support of the idea.
Online Voting Challenge
The Online Voting Challenge is included in the innovative elements of the programme and is the opportunity for the public to choose the team that will go directly to the final phase, participating in the National Competition without going through an evaluation process by the Jury Committee.
The challenge also brings the JA StartUp Programme training as close as possible to the real market conditions. It offers participating teams an opportunity to engage in Marketing & Communication processes that highlight their Branding skills. The purpose of each team is to be able to communicate the value of their business idea through a short video, in order to inform and engage the audience to which it will be displayed.
The programme takes place along with the Spring Semester while the important dates are:
- Deadline for Registrations: 19th of February 2023
- Programme Commencement: 20th of February 2023
- Submission of Business Idea: 06th of March 2023
- Submission of Short Video: 06th of April 2023
- Start of the Online Voting Challenge: 07th of April 2023
- End of the Online Voting Challenge: 18th of April 2023
- Submission of Business Plan: 19th of April 2023
- National Competition (10 teams): 01st of June 2023
- European Competition (winner team of the National Competition): 11th – 14th of July 2023
- Access to the programme’s online platform with rich educational material that covers contemporary topics of entrepreneurship and innovation.
- Ability to attend webinars on specialized topics by experts.
- Continuous support and guidance from experienced professionals acting as mentors.
- Joining the large family of Junior Achievement and accessing a multitude of learning and information opportunities.
- Many networking opportunities with students of similar interests, academics, and various professionals.
- Prizes for the three (3) top teams of the National Competition (worth €3000+ for the 1st team, €2000 for the 2nd team, and €1000 for the 3rd team).
- Participation of the winning team of the National Competition at Europe’s Largest Entrepreneurship Event, Gen-E.
JA StartUp 2022 Wrap-Up
Gen-E 2022 Wrap-Up
Is the programme entirely online?
The educational part of the programme is entirely online. The National and European Competitions are taking place physically.
Can I register as an individual?
No, only a group of 3 – 5 people can register for the programme. It is better to have partners!
I am a student, but I’m over 30 years old. Can I participate in the programme?
No, only students between 18 and 30 years old can participate in the programme. But don’t forget, you can develop your own business no matter your age!
Can I register with two different teams?
No, you can join the programme only as a member of one team.
Can a team consist of students from different universities/colleges?
Yes, you can be students of different departments and/or universities/colleges.
Is there a participation fee?
No, the programme is offered free of charge.
Will I get a certificate of participation?
Yes, all individuals who complete the programme will receive a certificate of completion. Members of the 10 finalists and the 3 winning teams receive different certificates.
My study is not related to entrepreneurship, can I participate?
Yes, the programme is for all students (18 to 30 years old) who are registered at any university/college in Cyprus.
Registration Form- JA StartUp