Beyond Pre-Accelerator is an educational + practical programme aimed at helping participants go through the entire entrepreneurial process, from generating business ideas related to healthcare to creating an MVP (minimum viable product).
The programme builds a bridge between purely educational programmes delivered to universities and more advanced accelerators and incubators.
To give university students (Bachelor’s, Master’s, PhD) the opportunity to work on finding innovative solutions to healthcare challenges, while experiencing building their own company.
To create multidisciplinary entrepreneurial teams by bringing together students from Medicine, IT, Engineering, Business and other. The Beyond Pre-Accelerator specifically focuses on challenges that oncology faces and aims to improve the below through driving innovations in:
- Early Diagnosis
- Treatment / Rehabilitation
- Psychological support / Reintegration / Palliative care
- Cases reports / Data collection / Research methods
The programme is organized by Junior Achievement Cyprus and supported by eight stakeholders: The Cyprus Institute of Neurology and Genetics, Karaiskakion Foundation, Cyprus Oncology Society, Cyprus Federation of Patients’ Associations, Cocoon Creations, IDEA, Cyprus Seeds and CYENS Centre of Excellence.
For more details, click the “General Information” tab on the left side of your screen.
Apply now as an individual or as a team by clicking on the “Apply Now” tab.
Applications are open until the 8th of October 2023
The Beyond Pre-Accelerator Programme has a duration of six months and it’s split in three phases:
- The Educational Phase
- The Test and Development Phase
- The Demo Day
The Educational Phase
The educational phase begins with a 2-Day Bootcamp (EIT Healthi-Days), on the 21st-22nd of October 2023 and lasts for three months. During this phase students:
- Form multidisciplinary
- Learn about the challenges oncology faces.
- Are familiarized with the fundamentals of entrepreneurship and with primary tools and approaches for starting a business.
- Generate innovative ideas.
- Get one mentor for each team.
By the end of the educational phase, teams conclude to one solid business idea which they present to a jury committee. Six teams only advance to the next phase.
The Test and Development Phase
During the Test and Development Phase, teams work on further advancing their idea and business model, but they also start developing their product or service. This phase lasts for three months and it includes:
- Pairing two mentors with each team – one business & one subject matter expert.
- JA distributing a small funding to the teams.
- Teams developing a minimum viable product (MVP).
- MVPs being tested and pitched
- JA tracking the progress of the teams through regular meetups
The Demo Day
The programme finishes with a one-day event, the Demo Day.
During the Demo Day the six remaining teams present their businesses in front of an audience with the goal to expand their network and receive further opportunities to continue building their business and developing their product or service.
For all the basic topis there is rich educational material on the programme’s online platform, while in selected topics, experts provide additional ideas and knowledge through seminars and webinars. In addition, experienced professionals provide ongoing guidance and support, acting as mentors.
Topics that are covered during the programme, include the following:
- The Entrepreneurial Mindset
- Human Resources and Management
- Brainstorming Ideas
- Market Research
- Business Model
- Project Management
- Customer Development / Product Market Fit
- Lean Startup Methodology
- Product Development
- Marketing and Sales
- Legal Obligations of a Business
- Test and Learn
- Valuation, Equity, and Investor Relations
- Pitching and Presentations
*The programme is implemented in the English language.
Students can apply individually or as a team.
Applications are open from the 30th of September 2022 to the 03rd of November 2022.
All applications go through an evaluation process and a maximum of 70 students are accepted to participate in the programme.
Teams can consist of 2 – 5 students, and members must come from at least two different academic disciplines.
For students applying individually, teams are formed during the 2-Day Bootcamp.
Innovate in Healthcare Bootcamp
The Innovate in Healthcare Bootcamp marks the commencement of the Beyond Pre-Accelerator Programme and is also part of the EIT Health i-Days.
During the 2-Day event on the 21st–22nd of October2023, all accepted participants gather at a hotel and go through an intensive training which includes but not limited to:
- Panel discussion by various experts on the challenges oncology faces.
- The entrepreneurial mindset
- Brainstorming ideas
- Evaluating ideas
- Developing a business model
- Presenting the idea and business model
At the end of the Bootcamp, teams present their ideas at a jury committee which evaluates the ideas and provides feedback. One team gets the opportunity to represent Cyprus at the EIT Health i-Days European Competition, in Barcelona, Spain (30th of November – 1st of December)
- Many networking opportunities with various professionals, academics, and students of similar interests.
- Access to the programme’s online platform with rich educational material that covers contemporary topics of entrepreneurship and innovation.
- Seminars and Webinars on specialized topics by experts.
- Continuous support and guidance from experienced professionals acting as mentors.
- Joining the large family of Junior Achievement and accessing a multitude of leaning and information opportunities.
We are students of the same academic discipline, can we apply as a team?
Yes, up to 3 students coming from the same academic discipline can apply together as a team. However, during the 2-Day Bootcamp, your team should add member(s) from other academic disciplines as well.
Can I participate with two different teams?
No, you can participate in the programme as a member of only one team.
Can a team consist of students from different universities/colleges?
Is there a participation fee?
No, the programme is offered free of charge.
Will I get a certificate of participation?
Yes, all participants who complete the programme receive a certificate of completion.