Continuing its efforts to encourage entrepreneurial thinking and innovation in schools, Junior Achievement Cyprus (JA Cyprus) hosted last Friday 5th of June, the 2020 Company of the Year Competition Digital Finale. The Finale represented the culmination of the efforts of more than 500 students, aged 15-18, who created and ran their own student companies over the current school year. The competition proved that young students not only have original ideas but can also run a successful business.
During the finale, the 10 finalists – out of 53 student companies created under the JA 2019-2020 Company Programme – presented their company and innovative business ideas and and conducted interviews with the jury committee, to secure the title of “Company of the Year”. Apart from the main title of the “Company of the Year”, the first and second runner-up awards, the student entrepreneurs received signature awards for their achievements in key areas of entrepreneurial activities.
This year, the title of “the Company of the Year 2020” went to Coalfee, a student company from Latsia Lyceum. The team was coordinated by the teachers Savvas Savvides and Maria Volakaki, having also the support from Philippos Peleties (Astrobank). The company produces organic carbon made from something we’ve probably never thought of… espresso coffee grounds and really raises the heat.
TapNplan, a student company from Dasoupolis Lyceum, came second in the contest. TapNplan facilitates the process of closing appointments with three applications: Bstyle for hairdressers, Beat for restaurants and Bdate for couples, available on Google Play, while it also aims to implement BGesy, for medical appointments.
Ciclo is an application by students from The English School which was ranked third. The team members created an online application that aims to reduce waste by helping people find different ways to dispose of their waste.
The winners of Signature Awards were:
- LEADERSHIP AWARD – Annie Tziakouri (tapNplan – Dasoupolis Lyceum)
- BEST PROMOTIONAL FLYER – Bioyouth (Kokkinochorion Lyceum-Foti Pitta)
Simply (Latsia Lyceum)
- BEST LOGO AWARD – Ciclo (English School)
- BEST SELLING PRODUCT/SERVICE AWARD – QuickLink (English School)
- MOST INNOVATIVE PRODUCT / SERVICE AWARD – tapNplan (Dasoupolis Lyceum)
- BEST BRANDING AND DIGITAL COMMUNICATION AWARD – Coalfee (Latsia Lyceum)
- BEST COMPANY REPORT AWARD – Baldem (English School)
- PHOENIX AWARD – EcoRoz (Pascal English School Larnaca)
- BEST COMMERCIAL VIDEO AWARD – Receipt – it! (Latsia Lyceum)
- BEST COMMUNITY IMPACT AWARD – SignPocket (School for the Deaf)
- BEST COPING WITH SOCIAL DISTANCING – Blob (GC School of Careers)
Coalfee will represent Cyprus at the JA Europe Company of the Year Competition, that will be held for the first time online, by Junior Achievement of Portugal.
JA Cyprus is supported by the following:
- Strategic Partner: AstroBank
- Partners: Cyta, PwC Cyprus, ExxonMobil Cyprus, MetLife
- Supporters: University of Nicosia
- Institutional Partner: Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports and Youth